Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Power Smoothie

Hi Guys,
I just thought I would share what I have for breakfast each and every morning! It is delicious, nutritious, and every ingredient has a purpose. Here it is...

Power Smoothie
1 small banana or 1/2 large
2 cups of baby spinach
1 cup of coconut/almond milk
1 teaspoon of almond butter
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1 Tablespoon of grass fed gelatin protein
1 Tablespoon of ground chia seeds

Blend in a blender or viatmix. Add ice if you would like...I do! :)





Now why THESE ingredients? Well lets go down the list

Bananas - POTASSIUM!! There is about 450mg of potassium in a banana. That is about 20% of our recommended daily intake in just that little fruit. Potassium is required to keep the heart, kidneys, liver, and even your nervous system in good working order. Plus in this it add sweetness without being too sweet. And without the addition of any other source of sugar, natural or not.

Spinach - Some people like kale in their smoothies and if you are one of them.... more power to ya! I personally can't handle the taste. In this smoothie I don't even recognize the spinach. Anyway what is so good about spinach? I don't know if I have enough space to write it all. But I'll give it a go. Spinach is a great source of vitamins A, K, C, B2, B6, and E. It has some protein and contains some omega 3 fatty acids. It is a source of magnesium, selenium, iron, and fiber. And it has TONS of flavonoids that act as antioxidants.

Coconut milk - dairy substitute so you can still have that creamy smoothie taste without the use of yogurt or milk. If you use canned coconut milk you will get the befit of that good fat that will keep you full and satisfied until lunch time.

Turmeric - Turmeric is a super food, or super spice I should say. It has amazing anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been shown in study after study that it is a powerful cancer fighter. It can detoxify the liver and may even be effective in preventing nuero-degenerative diseases. I have read lots of paper that seem to indicate that turmeric may even be the used to treat melanoma in the near future.

Grass fed gelatin protein - This is a powdered source of protein that isn't full of sugar (it actually has 0 sugar), artificial flavoring and dairy. And we all know the benefits of bone broth.....this is a way to get those same benefits without having a pot of bones brewing on the stove all day and night. That's awesome if you do have that, but I'm not there right now. The kind I use is even recommended by the Weston A. Price Foundation. I actually didn't know that until after I started using it, but that's still a cook fact. THIS is the brand I use. It is 19 bucks on amazon and has lasted me well over a month already and I use it almost every single day.

Chia Seeds - has protein, keeps you full and a good source of some omega 3's. It also helps stabilize blood pressure and blood sugar levels.


Well, there ya have it. That is my power smoothie for each morning. Give it a try. It is a fairly inexpensive and quick breakfast option.

2 comments:

  1. Many thanks! This post seems to have done the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If allergic to bananas what other fruit do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete