Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Favorite Eats for the week!







I have been SICK.......again! What in the world is up with this? Hubs has been sick and now I am. I think I have gotten over the worst part now though. Thank the Lord. Anyway, I haven't been to the gym and I have been bumming. I have lost weight though... Probably muscle. :( Anyway eating has been good...got lots of responses for my Greek Chicken Salad with Taziki so here is the recipe!!

First things first.... Grate a whole seedless cucumber (should end up with about a half a cup) and place it in a mesh strainer with some salt and a bowl underneath. You wanna try to get as much water out of the cucumber as possible so the taziki sauce isn't watery. This will take about 20 minutes. Give the cucumber a good squeeze before using it in the sauce.

While that is going make a marinade for the chicken:
1/2 cup olive oil
couple cloves of chopped garlic
juice of one lemon
some fresh chopped parsley
and a teaspoon of dried oregano
oh, and salt and pepper
Marinate some diced up bite sized chicken breast or tenders or thighs (whatever) for no more than 15 minutes. Actually you can have this marinating while you are waiting for your oven to heat. Bake off your chicken until it is done. I actually used my toaster oven and put my chicken on the broiler pan on the broil setting and it only took about 18 minutes.

Taziki:
1 cup of greek yogurt (not paleo, I know, but this made ALOT of sauce and I really didn't get much at all for my salad. the left overs have been surprisingly great as a dip for the girls veggies)
juice of 1 lemon
fresh mint (I only used about 7 fresh mint leaves chopped)
strained cucumber
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin

Mix all of that in your food processor and you have your taziki sauce!

Salad assembly
Chopped romaine
marinated chicken bites
taziki sauce
diced cucumber, tomato, red onion

opt. You could also add olives, banana peppers, whatever else you like!!

Some of my favorite meals this past week has been taco salad and chicken taco salad. The chicken taco salad is made with a marinade from www.primal-palate.com. I LOVE this marinade! It is posted as a marinade for skirt steak fajitas but I use it on chicken ALL THE TIME! As a matter of fact the very first thing I do when I get home from the grocery store is take 3 pound of chicken tenders and dump them in this marinade and pop it in the freezer. As the chicken thaws in the fridge it is soaking up all that flavor. Here is The Food Lovers' Primal Palate's recipe for the marinade (for one pound of meat)

2 tbls. olive oil
juice of 2 limes
4 cloves of garlic chopped
tsp salt
tsp pepper
tsp cumin
tsp chipotle powder

After cooking up the marinated chicken, I set it atop a mound of chopped salad, cucumbers, tomato, and radishes. Then plop some avocado or guac on top!









Now I do the same thing except with grass fed beef. I make my own taco meat by browning the beef, draining, returning it to the pan, then adding the following mixture to the pan...
1/3 cup of water
T chili powder
T cumin
1/2 T paprika
T onion powder
1/2 T garlic powder
tsp oregano
pinch of chipotle powder
pinch of salt

cook until water is mostly gone but meat is still moist.









Next on the list of my favorite recipes is a tomato sauce from the same creative and wonderfully talented Food Lovers Primal Palate. This recipe is for a Zucchini Lasagna which is wonderful, but I also use the sauce from this recipe for meatballs!!
http://beta.primal-palate.com/recipe/zucchini-lasagna/












One last very successful recipe was for turkey breakfast sausage. This recipe came from the blog of Caveman Food. http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com/2009/03/turkey-or-pork-breakfast-sausage.html



Here is how mine turned out>>>>> LOVED THEM!

I also tried a zucchini cake recipe the same day and that didn't turn out so well. I have never been good at making ANY kind of pancake so why should zucchini be any different?

Anyway, those are some of my faves from the past week. I hope to put up some of my very own recipes for "treats" later on this week.....

No comments:

Post a Comment