Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Calling all zucchini lovers.....

If you LOVE zucchini then I have a recipe for you. I don't have a name for it but the ingredients consist of only....
2 good sized zucchini
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
2-3 cloves of minced garlic
red pepper flakes
2 tbls of olive oil

First things first. Peel and cut the zucchini into thin noodles. There is a special kitchen tool you can buy to do this but I'm not sure what it is called and I don't have one. So I use my trusty knife. Next, place your zucchini noodles in a strainer and salt them. Set the strainer in a bowl.

The salt will draw some of the liquid out of the zucchini. Let it set in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. If you skip this step the finished product will be WAY to watery. Rinse of and wring out your zucchini with a clean kitchen towel after the 20 minutes is over. You will be amazed at how much liquid come out of those things.

Over medium heat add a couple TBL of olive oil to medium sized pan. Once hot, sprinkle in some red pepper flakes. The amount will depend on the heat level you want. I added about a teaspoon. I like it spicy!! Also add about 2-3 cloves of minced garlic to the oil.

Let it cook till it is fragrant, but make sure to not burn the garlic, about a minute or so. Add your zucchini and can of fire roasted tomatoes. Crank the heat up and brink it to a bubble. Once that happens lower the heat and let it simmer covered for about 10 minutes. You want your zucchini to be cooked but not mushy.
I had some of this this morning for breakfast. I have also made some grass fed meatballs and put them in there. If you are not Paleo and cheese agrees with you, I bet some grated parm would be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment