Monday, September 9, 2013

Sweet, Sweet, Illusive Sleep....zzzzzz....

Hi Guys,
How's it going? Long time no blog. Been pretty hectic around here lately. I started homeschooling my oldest daughter, so that is a bit time consuming. And I've been going through some health issues lately. I will tell you what, I know how Melissa (from The Clothes Make the Girl and Well Fed fame) feels like. I can totally relate to her struggles and to her frustrations. We are kinda in the same boat. Due to those issues I have had to quit Cross Fit. I really made me sad, but I need to focus on healing my body first and then I can start back. I have been advised to just walk lots, and do yoga for now. In a few months if things are going good I can add some heavy lifting. Then a few months later if I am perfect, I can add back in some metcons and some sprinting. Honestly, I just want to get back to heavy lifting. I am in love with lifting.

So you can imagine that with all that is going on, that my sleep is pretty crappy. And you would be right. I usually fall asleep about 12-1 in the morning and wake up at 7. My husband BEGS me to go to sleep, but I just can't. It's not that I don't want to....I can't. Well through some advice that I got from Chris Kresser.....for the past week I have fallen asleep at 10 and have gotten at least 9 hours of sleep each night!! I honestly didn't think it would work, but I figured if all I have to shell out is 7 bucks for a chance of some good sleep then I'll do it!

So here's the thing...it may sound a bit kooky to you (it actually did to me at first) but the secret lies in a pair of glasses. Let me start from the beginning....We all know that sleep is UBER important for our health. It is helpful in SO many areas and the lack thereof aids in things such as heart disease and diabetes. And yet insomnia is rampant. So what is the deal? Why can't we get sleep. Chris Kresser suggests that the answer could lie in the production of melatonin. Studies have shown that "blue light", the light coming from our iPads, tv's, computer, and iPhones suppress melatonin production. A reduction in melatonin results in sleeplessness, but more important than that, it has been shown to increase cancer risk, impair the immune system and a whole host of other not-so-good things. But have no fear there is a product, glasses to be exact, that block the "blue light" so your bodies production of melatonin is not disrupted. These glasses are what I have been wearing for the past week and I have gotten a total of 15 extra hours of sleep because of them. I have been falling asleep at 10 instead of tossing and turning and flipping channels until 1 am when I can finally fall asleep. I honestly didn't expect it to work, but like I said I thought that 7 bucks was an o.k. price to pay to see if it did. Any way there is my sleep story. HERE is the link to the article by Chris Kresser just in case you would like to have a look see. And HERE is where you can buy the glasses if you would like to give them a try. Chris also gives a link to a more expensive pair but the ones I bought are working great.



P.S. Relationship service announcement...... Be warned: They ain't sexy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment